Links and Resources
Information about and links to websites, pages, and communities that may be of interest to animation art collectors.
- Collector's Pages
- Storage and Display
- Sellers of Ill Repute
- # Sellers of Ill Repute: Guidelines
- eBay - coffeeconnoisseur1
- eBay - kinopiyo
- eBay - lucky-dragon-tiger
- eBay - mo_on.japan
- eBay - silvrdrago
- ebay - souloftokyo
- TimelessCelGallery - https://timelesscelgallery.com/
- Yahoo Japan Auctions - ewjgogtji
- Yahoo Japan Auctions - kvcdn16615
- Yahoo Japan Auctions - m3756tikiri
- Yahoo Japan Auctions - mononokeiwasi
- Yahoo Japan Auctions - yymm119
- Inside the Studios
This is a partial list of various art collectors galleries spanning the globe! If your gallery is not listed please add it to share with others.
- acetateaddiction's gallery:
- anime jewell's gallery:
- backwardpaint's gallery:
- bakainu's gallery:
- betamax's gallery:
- bian's gallery:
- blueblade's gallery:
- Brandon_t's gallery:
- celaddict's gallery:
- celenvy's gallery:
- chi's gallery:
- chris' gallery:
- cutiebunny's gallery:
- cycling's gallery:
- dearestbambi's gallery:
- debbye's gallery:
- doug's gallery:
- drakonia's gallery:
- duo's gallery:
- Earl's gallery:
- emerson's gallery:
- fran's gallery:
- frank's gallery:
- frysende's gallery:
- Ginta's gallery:
- graymouser's gallery:
- izobel's gallery:
- Jadeduo's gallery:
- Jiangdc's gallery:
- katana's gallery:
- kyosuke's gallery:
- lamar's gallery:
- leda's gallery:
- lwk's gallery:
- mechaboy's gallery:
- melissa's gallery:
- missmorgan's gallery:
- maiken's gallery:
- M O M O 's gallery: A small gallery focused on old school animes mainly from Macross and GunBuster.
- nadia's gallery:
- nat's gallery:
- nene's gallery:
- potatertot's gallery:
- purple plum's gallery:
- q's gallery:
- sazen's gallery:
- selebis's gallery:
- sensei's gallery:
- shadowcat's gallery:
- sme's gallery:
- starphoenix's gallery:
- tanja's gallery:
- tk's gallery:
- toonybabes gallery:
- Trudy's gallery:
- Tsunami3k's gallery:
- unicorni's gallery:
- van's gallery:
- webdeb's gallery:
- welcomeconsumer's gallery:
- zenamako's gallery:
- wormwood's gallery:
- yann's gallery:
This is a list of communities that may or may not focus exclusively on animation art collecting, but will hold at least some interest or relevant information for those who do.
- Anime Cel Collectors: A private facebook group for art collectors to learn from one another about our fascinating hobby. Note no sales are allowed in this group; a separate group exists just for sales.
- Animanga: One of the last remaining historic cel communities pre-existing the dotcom. Useful searchable forum threads, archives, and the cels ring gallery.
- Anime-Beta: A web forum for people who collect animation art with a (not surprising) focus on anime. The community has been around for more than a decade and, while not as active as it once was, contains a large amount of useful information.
- JACML: A free mailing list used by cel members and a few dealers announcing sales and updates.
- Rubberslug: A website and forum offering free gallery hosting for animation art collectors. Many long-time collectors use Rubberslug to display their collections. However, in recent years the site has been plagued with long periods of downtime.
This is a list of resources that may be helpful to collectors who are looking for marketplaces to buy, sell, trade, and post want lists.
- Anime Cel Collectors - Sales Group: A private facebook group focused on collectors posting sales and wantlists.
- Anime-Cel: A small online cel seller with reasonable pricing.
- Anime Ed: Ed Noonchester is one of the oldest and most established cel dealers pre-existing the dotcom.
- Anime Link: Rick Alonso operates this reborn site from the previous AnimeWink.
- Anime World Star: Based in Japan this seller has a physical store but has moved to offering more cels to on-line.
- Apply Symphony: Japan-only, runs a shop in Nakano Broadway.
- Asylum Anime: Owned and operated by a diehard anime fan named Curt based in Kansas. Visit the store too.
- Cel-Ga: UK-based anime cel dealer.
- Gremlin Fine Art: USA based animation seller offering non-anime art in addition to anime art.
- Gundam-Club: A Japan-based cel seller. The website is very very dated (Flash and download warning), and not much stock is left, but still selling. Contact the owner if you are ordering from outside Japan so you don't have to use a proxy.
- Heritage Auctions: A large auction house with a weekly auction for comic/animation art and larger auctions dedicated to animation art a few times a year.
- Howard Lowery: Southern CA based animation art dealer.
- Mandarake: Based in Japan this company offers a large selection of anime goods and cels. Note confusing site.
- Saco Anime: Japan-only, runs a shop in Fujisawa City. Active on twitter.
- Sean's Anime & Other Things: Tacoma WA Based anime seller.
- Skinner Auctions: USA based auction house. Cels pop up every blue moon, anime cels specifically under the Asian Works of Art category.
- Takamura Store: Japan based anime cel dealer.
- Toon-City: USA based animation art seller.
- Toys King: Japan based hobby shop, cels pop up every now and then and sells on YHJ. Website is a little difficult to navigate.
- Untitled Art Gallery: USA based animation and original art seller.
Storage and Display
This is a list of resources that may be helpful to collectors who are looking for the best ways to store or display their animation art. Please also visit our "Preservation and Conservation" page for even more detailed info: https://wiki.cartoonedin.com/books/links-and-resources/page/storage-and-display
- Bags Unlimited: A larger website that has all sizes of Mylar for Sketch Storage, Many sizes of MC Paper, as well as multiple sizes of Polypropylene Bags. They will generally have sales although the shipping can sometimes hurt.
- Conservation Resources International: Online seller offering library and museum quality conservation resources.
- Lodima: A small website run by a couple of photographers. The 'Archival Materials' section of the site will be of interest to collectors. They sell storage boxes, matboard, interleaving paper, and other supplies that are all made of archival grade, microchamber material.
- Search for Treasury Comic Bags on Amazon: I (Jadeduo) Buy this brand of bags for all my standard sized cels you can buy them in bulk or with matching sized backing boards... +free shipping ^_^
- Animation Cel Storage and Preservation: An academic paper discussing animation history, medium and preservation techniques by Karen Hong Saracino dated 2006.07.18.
Resources for you to consider if you are attempting to repair, restore, or otherwise fix damage to your precious original artworks.
- S/R Laboratories: A USA based company existing since 1977 that pioneered the very concept of animation art conservation and restoration. Note, completion time can take up to a year and the service is expensive.
Sellers of Ill Repute
This is a list of animation art sellers (and resellers) who have sales practices that (especially new) collectors should be aware of. A seller may appear on this list because they price gouge (purchasing items from one marketplace and then immediately relisting them to another at a vastly inflated rate) or because they have a history of poor customer interactions (misleading auction listings, poor packing/shipping practices, etc). If you wish to add to this list, please read the "Sellers of Ill Repute: Guidelines" page.
# Sellers of Ill Repute: Guidelines
- Each seller should be listed on their own page and the title of the page should be formatted as: [Marketplace] - [Username]. For example: eBay - Johnsmith482. If a seller appears in more than one marketplace (or under multiple usernames) only include their primary marketplace/username in the title and note any others on the page itself.
- In order to add a seller to the list, you must provide evidence as to why they should be on it. For example:
- Screenshots showing a piece of art sold on Yahoo Japan and was then relisted on ebay a few weeks later for ten times the price.
- Screenshots of a negative interaction (email/personal messages/etc) with the seller. (You must include screenshots of the entire interaction, no cherry-picking messages to make a seller look bad.)
- Photographs of a poorly packaged piece of art.
- Photographs showing that the art you received differs greatly from how it was listed.
- ALL personal information (real names, phone numbers, addresses, etc) must be redacted from any evidence uploaded to a seller page. The only exception to this is if a seller's name is their username.
- Do not provide your own commentary. Present any evidence on the seller page and let other people make their own judgements. You may provide brief descriptions of images if you feel it is necessary, but try your best to keep them impartial.
- Search the list before adding a new seller page. If a particular seller page already exists, add your own evidence to that page, below any text or images that is already there.
- Keep discussions civil.
- Abusing this list by providing false or misleading information will result in your account being permanently banned.
- The moderators of this wiki may remove any information posted here without notice.
eBay - coffeeconnoisseur1
Image 1: Shinji and Unit 02 bought for 115,000 yen (~$1,060) from Mandarake
Image 2: Same being sold for $3,950, originally listed the day after the auction before it shipped from Japan
Image 3: Shinji bought for $280 from Rubberslug
Image 4: Same being sold for $1,250
eBay - kinopiyo
Image 1: MPE cel on YHJ for 35,000 yen (~$335)
Image 2: Same being sold on Ebay for $540 (seller does not own it)
Image 3: Unit 01/02 cel on YHJ for 195,000 yen (~$1,860)
Image 4: Same being sold on Ebay for $2,734 (seller does not own it)
Image 5: Unit 01 cel on YHJ for 170,000 yen (~$1,620)
Image 6: Same being sold on Ebay for $2,720 (seller does not own it)
Image 7: Unit 02 cel on YHJ for ~170,000 yen (~$1,620)
Image 8: Same being sold on Ebay for $2,736 (seller does not own it)